Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Gopher Snake In The Garden

When I went out to water the garden the other day, I found this guy entangled in some bird netting I had put down over the cataloupe seeds because the birds kept digging them up as fast as I could plant them! I went in the house and got some kitchen tongs and my embroidery scissors and cut him free. About 2 hours later, when I went down to the barn to feed Oliver, the baby goat boy, the silly snake was stuck in the bird netting again!! This time, when I went in for the tongs and scissors, I also grabbed the camera. He was stuck worse the second time. Jerry came home about then and was trying to help (he really, REALLY doesn't like snakes!). We got him loose but didn't get all the bird netting off and he kept getting the bird netting caught on the fence. Jerry went out a few minutes later and he was gone but I was feeling really bad that we hadn't gotten all the netting off. In the evening, after we fed the critters, I went to the garden to water a couple of things and there was ole snakey again hung up on some wire trellis. Well, this time I held his head and Jerry was able to finally get all the bird netting off him. Needless to say, I took up the netting and threw it away! Ole snakey was heading east along the pasture fence the last time I saw him! By the way, it's kinda hard to tell from the pics but he was about 5-1/2 to 6 feet long!

No comments: