Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Friday, January 20, 2012

Appliqued Wall Hanging


I had so much fun making the appliqued Christmas Moose Pillow awhile back that I wanted to do another small project. The original design was from Qweenee Quail Quilts. I'm not a quilter but I do like to piece the tops. One of the reasons I made the moose into a pillow was so that I didn't have to worry about quilting or binding the edges! LOL!!

Well, this time I wanted to make a little wall hanging as a gift for one of my friends. The directions were kind of vague..."quilt as desired"..."bind the edges as desired!" I didn't actually quilt it but rather did the applique stitches through all the layers for the quilting. The picture showed a 1/4-inch wide binding but I think if I make another one, I will go for a 1/2-inch wide binding. I used the same material as the body of the chicken for the backing and I added the pewter buttons to hide my "less than perfect" corners! ;-) I wanted to do a chicken so I designed the chicken applique myself. All in all, I'm happy with how it turned out and I sure hope my friend likes it! Linking up to the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop with Heidi at My Simple Country Living and Deb at Deborah Jean's Dandelion House.

13 comments:

Alica said...

Nice job! Who says you have to do it any certain way?! :)

TexWisGirl said...

it is really cute!

Candy C. said...

Alica,
That's kind of what I figured! LOL!!

TWG,
Thanks! :)

Tombstone Livestock said...

Nice job and good you did it your way, that's what makes things one of a kind.

Candy C. said...

Tombstone Livestock,
I guess it is huh?!? :)

Teresa said...

You are so talented! I've never had the courage to try anything quilted.

Unknown said...

Cute! I need to try something small like that....

Farmgirl Heidi said...

She's such a pretty girl, that Queenie. I love your small quilts Candy. What a nice gift.

Candy C. said...

Teresa,
Ha! I wish I could make wine and soap like you do! :)

Candy C. said...

Nancy,
I felt comfortable starting with something smaller, you should try it!

Heidi,
Thanks! :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I love that. I just dug my applique out of my closet recently. I have not learned to quilt, but starting small is a very good idea. Those would be wonderful gifts too.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I don't know how to applique but would really like to learn to do something like this. You can only make so many quilts, and the cost to have them quilted as I only piece too. I'd like to make those cute seasonal wall hangings, table runners, etc.

Candy C. said...

Kathy,
I'll bet they could get you set up with something to get you started at your quilt store. :) The hardest part for me is trying to keep my stitches even! LOL!!