Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Friday, November 11, 2011

Soup Mix In A Jar

I love giving handmade gifts and I love giving food as a gift! People always need to eat, right?!? :)
I have been making these Soup Mix In A Jar gifts for a couple of years now. I was even selling them at the Farmer's Market last year. Not only are they pretty but they are tasty too!


This is one of my favorites; it is pretty to look at, tastes great and is fairly quick to cook up.

Love Soup Mix

1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
1/4 cup dried minced onion
1/2 cup dried split peas (I like to use green and yellow but couldn't find any yellow)
1/2 cup barley
1/2 cup lentils (I used red and regular)
1/2 cup rice (I used brown rice)
1 cup tri-colored spiral pasta or enough to fill jar

Layer the ingredients in the order given into a 1-quart canning jar. Pack each layer in place before adding the next ingredient. Attach a gift tag with the cooking directions.

Directions

Love Soup
1 jar Love Soup Mix
1 pound ground beef, browned and drained

Remove the tri-colored pasta from the Love Soup Mix and set aside. Place the balance of the mix in a large soup pot. Add 12 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Add tri-colored pasta and ground beef and simmer 15 minutes more.

This recipe is adapted from the book "Gifts in a Jar - Soups" which I have had for a LOONG time! LOL!! It's a neat book because there are six pre-printed gift cards that you can use with each recipe.


Here are a few of the others that I did up today, aren't they pretty?


These make a really nice gift by themselves and are even more special when paired up with a loaf of homemade bread or some rolls. You could also include a beer bread mix like my Dill Chive Beer Bread or Onion Caraway Rye Beer Bread.

Linking to the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop at Deborah Jean's Dandelion House! :)

25 comments:

Tombstone Livestock said...

I had a sister book to that one on Crock Pot Meals in a Jar. My S-I-L was here visiting and we went back to get her a copy, but the little cottage store where I bought it was closed. Told her I would just go get me another one the next week. Well I found the Soup in a Jar book so now we can trade recipes from the two books. I think there is also a Dessert in a jar book, I will have to look next time.

Michelle said...

Hi Candy, I will be using this soup in a jar recipe. I always give Christmas gifts to the girls I work with. They would love this. After a hard day at work none of use want to spend a lot of time cooking dinner.
Also sorry I forgot to add the clue for gift 3 Thursday. It is add now.

Candy C. said...

Tombstone Livestock,
I have two other books in the series, Muffins & Breads and Cocoas, Cappuccinos, Coffees & Teas. They are so popular that I'll bet there are LOTS more! :)

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

This is so pretty! I love the multi colored noodles to top it off. I'm not sure if I'd eat it or display it. Do you remember ever doing the "bean" pictures in school where you drew a picture and covered everything in glue. Then you colored it with beans?

Candy C. said...

Michelle,
I hope your friends at work like the soup!
Thanks for the heads up about the added clue! ;-)

Candy C. said...

Kathy,
I hear that a LOT about not wanting to use it! LOL!! I always tell people "But it's GOOD, eat it!"
Yep, didn't everyone do bean pictures in school?!?

Unknown said...

Love soup? I LOVE THIS. What rock have I been under? your soup jars are so pretty...and a terific gift!
thank you!
Deb

Teresa said...

This is a wonderful idea! I love giving practical gifts as well.

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Candy,
I love this recipe. It looks too pretty to eat. I've never made one that incorporated legumes and pasta together. What a treat. I've been making up some chocolate chip mix-in-a-jar cookie mixes myself today.

Candy C. said...

Deb and Teresa,
These do make such pretty gifts and I love that they are practical! :)

Heidi,
I like the idea of no beans which makes it MUCH quicker to prepare. I like to do the cookie mixes in a jar too!

Unknown said...

Great idea! I waas trying to think of something fun for my adult kids for the holidays/birthdays. They're all novice cooks, but could do that! And I have lots of canning jars :)

Candy C. said...

Nancy,
Glad to be of some inspiration! You mean some people DON'T have lots of canning jars?!? LOL!!

homegrown countrygirl said...

These are so pretty! I like giving (and getting!) food gifts, too! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Candy C. said...

homegrown countrygirl,
Thanks! Glad to share! :)

Kateri said...

I've never done a (fill in the blank) in a jar, but what a great idea for gifts. I saw the ones Heidi posted as well. This looks so pretty and it is low cost and very practical. I might just be making some of these for gifts!

Reginas Cottage said...

hello
thanks for the wonderful idea!!!!!
the jars looks really pretty.great gift!!!
greetings from germany,
regina
reginassimplelife.blogspot.com

Candy C. said...

Kateri,
I saw Heidi's too, they are so pretty! I might have to do some cookie mixes in a jar for gifts this year! :)

Candy C. said...

Regina,
Thanks for stopping by all the way from Germany!! :)

Susan said...

Candy - once again you have wowed us with a terrific recipe/idea! That's just the gift for so many people on my list! Thanks!

LindaG said...

Bookmarked!
Thank you so much for sharing this!

Debbie said...

oooohhhh i LOVE this. i will bookmark it as well!!

bj said...

I bookmarked it, too. Sounds like a great idea for Christmas gifts...
Over from Rural Journal.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

that is a great cookbook; use it all the time and people love getting the gifts.
via Rural Journal...

Unknown said...

Just wondering I am thinking of selling soup and other recipes in a jar.What would I need in terms of a kitchen or preparation area? Can I use my own kitchen (which is very small and would require that I have a storage area in a separate spot) or should I prepare another area completely separate only used for that purpose? Would I need a sink even though I would be using all dry ingredients? My name is Angela Scarlett and my email is ascar06@mcsnetca the email below is my daughter.

Candy C. said...

Hey Angela!
I would check with my city and/or county health department. Even though it's all dry ingredients, some get kind of picky about what can and can't be done in a home kitchen. Good luck, things like this really seem to sell well!
P.S. I tried to send an email but the address would not work.