Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Friday, January 15, 2016

Applesauce Molasses Cake - Friday's Hunt 1/15/2016

For this week's Friday's Hunt with Teresa at Eden Hills we are doing starts with C, Inside, and Week's Favorite.


For Week's Favorite I thought I would share one of my Favorite snack cake recipes! This cake reminds me very much of gingerbread, spicy and very moist. I also enjoy doing food photography and I'm always trying to practice and improve. ;)

Applesauce Molasses Cake               **click here to print this recipe**

1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups Baking Mix
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square cake pan or a 9-inch cast iron pie pan.
Cream butter and sugar; beat in applesauce, molasses, vanilla and egg.
Add dry ingredients and mix well.
Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serve with whipped cream.
I use lightly sweetened homemade applesauce and substitute Pumpkin Pie Spice for the cinnamon and nutmeg.


For starts with C and Inside I'm sharing my favorite Cat, Ernie. (Shhh...don't tell the other two!)
Ernie is supposed to the the barn kitty but he has figured out that life is better Inside!! I really don't mind, especially him sleeping Inside at night. That way, I don't worry as much about the coyotes having a late night kitty snack. Been there...done that. 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ernie certainly looks handsome! I don't blame him for wanting to come inside. That cake looks quite delicious. I wish I were closer to invite myself over for a piece. LOL

Scrapatches said...

Your cake looks yummy! I want a piece. I have to try this recipe. Hopefully this weekend.

Ernie looks like one contented cat who knows a good life when he finds one. Purrrrrr ... :)

Paula said...

Mmm, that sounds good!

abrianna said...

Ernie is a smart kitty! Your cake looks good.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

ernie is one smart cookie and I love that recipe. I wonder what it would taste like as a glutenfree recipe? Have a lovely week ahead until next Friday's Hunt.

EG CameraGirl said...

Give me 10 minutes and I'll be over for a slice of that cake! And if Ernie is missing after I leave you can bet I took him with me. ;)

Alica said...

I can tell I must be hungry...I just printed out that delicious recipe, and I'm gonna have to make it. Today!

amanda said...

Looks tasty! (Hi, Ernie!) :)

amanda said...

Looks tasty! (Hi, Ernie!) :)

Nancy In Boise said...

Looks good! And Ernie is quite handsome :)

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Yummmmm. I have a lot of ripe persimmon in the fridge. I wonder if I used that instead of applesauce. Guess the only way to know is to try.
The View from the Top of the Ladder

Crystal said...

Oh that cake looks so good! And such a cute cat how could you say no to him :)

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Your applesauce cakes looks delicious and thanks for sharing your recipe, I usually substitute oil in cakes and tea breads with applesauce.
We sometimes get warnings to keep cats and small dogs in at night when coyotes have come into our pocket village.

brokenteepee said...

Cake and cat - two of my favorite Cs

Anonymous said...

The cake look good. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Pretty kitty!

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Don't worry your secret is safe with me...but not that cake!!!...:)JP

Susan said...

Oh, yum! That cake looks so wonderful! And what a very beautiful/handsome cat!

Liz said...

Can't wait to try this cake and I just took some applesauce out of the freezer! Your kitty looks like our George.