Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Cowboy Fish Pond


Hmmm...or maybe I should call it our Redneck Fish Pond. ;-)
A friend gave us this 200-gallon galvanized stock tank and, at first, we had it down by the barn for the animals to drink out of. Well, it's really too tall for the goats and one horse just can't drink enough water to justify something so large. It would get icky and we kept having to drain it and clean it and that's a WHOLE lot of water to just dump out! So, Jerry thought it would be cool to make it into a fish pond in the back yard!


We put in a pump for aeration and added a couple of water plants.


My friend brought us this water lily last Sunday. :)


We got this one from the Koi fish guy at the Farmers' Market last week, I'm not sure what it is called. We have it sitting on some concrete blocks so that the fish have "caves" to play in.


We added a couple of goldfish and my friend who brought us the water lily is going to give us one or two more from her pond. (She has a REAL pond!)


The fish like hiding underneath the water lily. So, there ya' go, instant Cowboy/Redneck Fish Pond! LOL!! Linking up with Nancy and Lisa for Rural Thursday. Thanks ladies for hosting every week!!

27 comments:

Tombstone Livestock said...

Enjoy your new fish pond and mosquito abatement program. I have mosquito fish in a few of my livestock tanks, disadvantage is they multiply so fast you can't just take them out to drain the tank and change the water.

Jan said...

Great idea. Cowboy Fish Pond is an excellent name for this.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Around here we call that the fancy swimming pool:) B

Unknown said...

Cute! I actually thought of buying a small round one for that same purpose, but we wound up finding a plastic one at a yard sale. Enjoy!

Lisa Lynn said...

Great idea! You're giving me ideas ;-)

TexWisGirl said...

i'm lovin' it! i've always wanted a koi pond, but with herons and egrets by the dozens (and dogs, too!) they'd never make it here! i'll be satisfied with my 'real' pond. :)

Marigold said...

Oh, we did this too! Former owners left a stock tank here and we goats didn't use it , so the Goatmother and Goatfather made a fountain like yours. The Goatmother got a miniature lily off EBay and it is blooming as we speak! Unfortunately, we had godlfish, but the Raccoon found them.

Jen said...

I love this idea! Very cool, love the name. Very pretty too :)

Robyn said...

That Jerry! I like his idea. Looks like fun to me.

Michelle said...

It looks really great. Who thought up the name? It really works for this.

Sharon said...

I have three tanks, all different sizes on my patios. I love them and love my fish. The plants multiply so fast I am always giving them away so don't buy more plants. I need to thin out again.

Susan said...

I love it! What a great idea. I love ponds. I am thinking of putting in a small one with a little fountain at some point. It's on "the list".

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

So wonderful!
I love it. The whole galvanized bucket full!

I hope your pond brings you lots of joy, Pat

joanne said...

I think your use of this tub is so clever and lovely....Nice work

Hootin Anni said...

Honestly....I like the whole concept!!!! Really a cool idea.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Now that's a fun idea! I love the water lily.

Michaele said...

Well named and very cool to have around. You can even get Koi at the Farmers Market?

Unknown said...

Oh, I love this idea... you did a great job and the fish look happy!

Lynda said...

Hi, that is a great idea for the stock tank. Turns out we were neighbors some time back and I didn't even realize it. Small world!

Nancy said...

This is a fabulous idea! Go you!

Thank you for sharing at Rural Thursdays this week. xo

A Colorful World said...

How exciting! I bet you are really going to enjoy your pond! The pictures didn't upload....I'm just going to have to come see it some time! :-)

petey said...

I would love to do this, but I don't think they'd make it thru the freeze here. I wonder if Maremma's would protect fish?

Roan said...

Now that is a cool Koi Pond!

Unknown said...

I'vd just awarded your blog the "One Lovely Blog Award"! Check my website on what you can do to pass it on and share some fun info! Congrats!

Candy C. said...

Thanks Nancy! I'll be checking it out! :)

SweetLand Farm said...

Hahahahaha!!! Love it! Cowboy/Redneck fish tank! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

This is great! I love your cowboy fish pond. :-)