Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Monday, February 11, 2013

Sweet Potato Corn Chowder


I surely do enjoy baking and cooking and creating new recipes! I usually start with a recipe that I find somewhere and change things to use what I have on hand and what we like to eat. I found this recipe for Chipotle Sweet Potato Corn Chowder last week and thought it sounded like something we would really like. I cut down the recipe, since there are only the two of us, and changed some of the ingredients. I have been making a Potato Corn Chowder for years using white potatoes and Cajun seasonings but this recipe is soooo much better!

Sweet Potato Corn Chowder

1 large sweet potato, roasted and cubed
2 tablespoons butter
1 large shallot, chopped
2 cups frozen corn, thawed (I use this awesome recipe from dr. momi)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup half & half (I use half goat milk/half heavy cream)

Roast sweet potato, wrapped in foil, in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour, until done. Let cool; peel and cut into cubes.
In a large saucepan, melt butter, then add shallot and cook for about five minutes until soft. Add corn, thyme, marjoram, chipotle powder and cumin; cook and stir for another few minutes. Add chicken stock and sweet potato; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Use a potato masher to mash up the sweet potato a bit. Stir in half & half and heat through being careful not to let it boil.

Sharing with The Country Homemaker Hop, Down Home Blog Hop and Rurality Blog Hop.

18 comments:

Elaine M said...

Yummy, I'm going to make this and throw in some leftover cooked barley.

TexWisGirl said...

i always feel bad when you post a recipe as i almost never comment on recipe posts, but let me just say this looks yummy!

Lin said...

I don't like new recipes or cooking...how about you cook and I'll just eat??? :P

Anonymous said...

That does look yummy!

Sally in WA said...

Ooh, this does sound good!

larkspur funny farm said...

Your dish sounds so warm and wonderful - will have to try this weekend...

larkspur funny farm said...

Sounds so warm and tasty. I will have to try this for the weekend.

Nancy said...

Would be a great way to use up frozen corn -- thank you! :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I have bookmarked this recipe. It looks great, and we freeze corn every summer. Yum.

Susan said...

I am going to HAVE to make this soup! This weekend! It sounds and looks so wonderful!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Oooh, looks delicious! Sounds like a recipe I would really enjoy. I'm making so much soup lately!

Tanya Breese said...

yum yum!!

Tanya Breese said...

yum yum!!

Unknown said...

Snow is in the forecast here - this will be perfect for a cold night! Yum!

Anne Payne said...

And I just happen to have two sweet potatoes that I was going to bake. I'll have to give this soup a try! Thanks for sharing :)

Heather said...

This sounds delicious! My kids love corn chowder and sweet potatoes, I have never thought to combine the two!

Marigold said...

Yum! Anything with chipotle is good. Wonder how it would taste on Peanuts?

Anonymous said...

Oh yum, corn chowder my fav! What time did you say to be over??? Thank you for joining in 'Rurality Blog Hop #2' Hope to see you next Wednesday for #3...