Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Chocolate Guinness Cake


This recipe was posted on Simply Recipes last week for St. Patrick's day. I love all the recipes Elise posts and have gotten many that are keepers. I made the cake Sunday to have as dessert for our dinner of corned beef with oven roasted potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage. My favorite corned beef recipe also calls for Guinness so I figured it would be a good time to try the cake. We were celebrating Jerry's mom's birthday a day early so the cake doubled as a birthday cake. :)


What a wonderful chocolate cake recipe! It's not overly sweet, you do taste a bit of the Guinness but it's not overwhelming and the cake is very rich, moist and easy to make. The recipe calls for baking in an 8-inch or 9-inch springform pan and I recommend using the 9-inch pan as there is a lot of batter, which makes for a very impressive looking, tall cake. It also calls for superfine sugar (which I don't have) but I used regular granulated sugar and it worked just fine. The original recipe also calls for a cream cheese frosting and it is very good and a great complement to the intense chocolate flavor but I may try a chocolate buttercream frosting next time just for fun! You can find the recipe here: Chocolate Guinness Cake. I am so impressed with the flavor of this lovely cake and how easy it is to make that it is now going to be my go-to recipe for chocolate cake and cupcakes, St. Paddy's Day or not! ;-)

Linking up to The Country Homemaker Hop with Heidi at My Simple Country Living and Mira at Crisp PhotoWorks for Weekly Photo Stew and Food Photography.

19 comments:

Farmgirl Heidi said...

That cake looks SO good Candy. Thank you so much for sharing it with the rest of us and thanks to Simply Recipes too.

Ngo Family Farm said...

Mmmmmm...looks perfect! Just in time for me, too, since our marshmallow cake is almost gone ;)
-Jaime

P.S. I made your hamburger buns the other day, and they were wonderful - I didn't have bread flour, so just used regular AP flour, but they still came out well. Thanks for that recipe :)

Candy C. said...

Heidi,
I was really impressed with the rich chocolate flavor!

Jaime,
I'm glad you liked the hamburger bun recipe! I also make that same recipe with half white and half whole wheat flour, my favorite! :)

Unknown said...

Wow looks great! Might try with another beer, since I'm not a guinness fan.

Spencer said...

Looks absolutely wonderful! It's my birthday soon so I might have to get my wife to recreate the recipe!

Kateri said...

I clicked over to Simply Recipes--and am bookmarking the site--like you said, looks like they have many wonderful recipes. Your St. Patricks day dinner sounds delicious!

Jen said...

It looks really good... I love cake,lol

Amy Dingmann said...

I'm still drooling. Chocolate and Guiness together? Two of the best things in the world? You're an angel!!

Candy C. said...

nancypo,
The secret would be to use a good, dark stout to enhance the chocolate flavor. :)

Spencer,
It does make a lovely birthday cake!

Kateri,
I love Simply Recipes! :)

Candy C. said...

Jennifer,
A girl's gotta have cake! :)

Mama Tea,
The Guinness and chocolate are really great together!!

Nancy said...

A beautiful cake -- I would love to make it, but my hubby is not a big fan of chocolate, so I'd likely eat it all myself. :)

Tanya Breese said...

oh can i have a slice pretty please?!

Michaele said...

It looks soooo moist : )

Mira Crisp said...

Yummy! This reminds me of the last weekend when I had too many similar Guinness goodies! LOL Anyway, your cake looks super delicious and I am so thankful you linked it to Food Photography this week too! Thank you.

A Colorful World said...

Oh yum! I like Guinness and bet I would love this cake! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Gina Kleinworth said...

That looks scrumptious!!! I could go for some right now!

Molly said...

This looks delicious, I love the darkness of the cake.

Mollyxxx

Candy C. said...

Nancy,
That probably wouldn't be good, it's a LOT of cake!

Tanya,
I would love to share a piece of cake and a cup of coffee with you! :)

Michaele,
I was really impressed with how moist it was!

Candy C. said...

Mira,
Is there really such a thing as too may Guinness goodies?!? ;-)

Marie,
It is really good, I hope you try it!

Gina,
There are still two pieces left! LOL!!

Molly,
It is really darkly delicious! :)