Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Friday, November 15, 2013

Oatmeal Honey Wheat Bread


This is my absolute favorite sandwich bread! It's just a little bit sweet from the honey and the oats add a nice texture. Because it's half whole wheat flour and half bread flour, it's not real heavy either.

What really made it extra special this week was my new cast iron Camp Chef bread pan that I found at the C-A-L Ranch Store in Flagstaff this past weekend. I love cooking and baking in cast iron and I have been wanting a cast iron bread pan. Now that I'm baking just for us, I figured why not! It's even pretty with the decorative handles. :)


This one came pre-seasoned but I washed it before using it and seasoned it again. The way I care for all of my cast iron pans is to rinse with hot water and scrub with a nylon scrubbie as needed after using. I then apply a thin coating of olive oil on the inside of the pan and put it in the oven preheated to 350 degrees. Then, I turn off the oven and leave the pan in until cool, usually overnight. All of my cast iron pans now have an awesome "nonstick" finish! I thought the bread might stick just a bit because the pan was new but the loaf fell right out.

Oatmeal Honey Wheat Bread          **Click here to print this recipe**

1 cup lukewarm milk
2 tablespoons softened butter
3 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour
1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons bread machine yeast OR 1 packet active dry yeast (If using active dry yeast, dissolve it in the warm milk before combining with the remaining ingredients.)

Mix, knead and let your dough rise until doubled using your favorite method; bread machine, manual or stand mixer. Shape dough into a loaf, put it in a greased pan, cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, cover loosely with foil after 10 minutes to prevent over-browning. Remove from pan immediately and let cool completely on a wire rack.


Jerry commented that he thought this loaf even tasted better than usual...hmmm, must be the cast iron bread pan!

Disclaimer: I did NOT receive anything from anyone for this post, I just wanted to show off my new pan. ;)

Joining Farmgirl FridayWhat I Am Eating, the From The Farm Blog Hop and Food On Friday the Bread Edition.

35 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I have never seen a cast iron bread pan before. Neat! The recipe looks yummy too.

Alica said...

You can bet I'll be making this one! Maybe even later today...looks delicious! I never saw a cast iron bread pan, although I love my cast iron skillets that I "inherited" from our elderly neighbor!

Sharon said...

That's a really yummy looking loaf of bread. I love that you can make the dough in the bread machine!

Nancy said...

In love with that loaf pan... :)

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh that cast iron pan is INCREDIBLE I am sure this delicious bread turned out perfect. Gotta go I am hungry now:) Hug B

Lynn said...

that looks so good and the pan is cool I use my round cast iron pan for breads, I like the nice long inside pieces for sandwiches...your pan is more sensible.

thewovenspoke said...

I just love using cast iron, that is what I grew up cooking with, although I haven't tried bread pans. Your recipe sounds familiar, like one I used to make. Hmmmm.... now I need to go get my bread recipes out. Thsnks for sharing .

Dawn

thewovenspoke said...

I just love using cast iron, that is what I grew up cooking with, although I haven't tried bread pans. Your recipe sounds familiar, like one I used to make. Hmmmm.... now I need to go get my bread recipes out. Thsnks for sharing .

Dawn

Judy said...

Oh my goodness that bread looks so good. I love that there is honey instead of sugar in the recipe. I printed this off and plan to make it today. I'm in love with that pan, I gave a hint to my hubby that I might want that for Christmas :)

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I looked at the site. I really want Lodge Pro Logic Aebleskiver. It's something my Danish relatives would eat and you need the pan to make the. Your break looks great.

Michaele said...

The bread is great, but the instructions on how to take care of the cast iron is VERY much appreciated !

TexWisGirl said...

you're killing me... :)

Jan said...

The bread looks so yummy and I LOVE your new bread pan!

Sharon said...

I wonder, in the recipe, is the amount of milk correct? I tried to make it and the dough didn't turn out at all. It seems very dry.

Candy C. said...

Hi Sharon!
About the dry bread dough, sometimes my dough varies even from batch to batch on the same day. Feel free (always) to add extra milk if it seems dry or a little extra flour if it seems too wet. There are so many variables including the brand of flour, how you measure your flour and even the humidity where you live. I hope this helps. There is also a post on the sidebar on Bread Making tips where I address these issues and others. :)

Ida said...

Oh that bread looks delicious. I love homemade bread (just not the work it takes to make it) I think I need a bread machine.

brokenteepee said...

That is a beautiful loaf of bread! How heavy is the bread pan if I may ask?

my email is kaiminani at gmail dot com

Candy C. said...

For Patty and if anyone else is interested, the bread pan weighs 3.278 pounds per my little, digital kitchen scale. :)

Jeanie Cullip said...

my mouth is watering, thinking this will be great with the Bacon, Cheddar & Potato Soup I posted today!

Jeanie Cullip ~ Twin Falls Mommy
http://www.examiner.com/motherhood-in-twin-falls/jeanie-cullip

Tanya Breese said...

yum ,yum!

FarmgirlUnleashed said...

YUM! Hubby bakes our bread and has promised this one this weekend. :-) LOVE the cast iron bread pan. Never have seen one; will have to keep my eyes out for one of those for him. Thanks for sharing on the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

This bread looks amazing! Yum! And I love your cast iron pan. Thanks for the seasoning tip as well!

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

Yummy, that looks so delicious! If I were your neighbor I'd weigh 500lbs!

Anonymous said...

Candy,
I never thought about a cast iron bread pan. A fry skillet always to mind first.

Looking forward to trying this recipe.

I made 2 batches of Buttermilk rolls earlier this week!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

thank you for the recipe. i have never made homemade bread before. so fun. my Grandma Mary - use to make bread weekly ... boy i miss that.

happy weekend to you! ( :

Unknown said...

What a cool loaf pan! Thanks for the cast iron seasoning tip. I'm a little scared of my cast iron pot, but I think I'll get it out and try again using your tip! Thanks for the bread recipe too.
Grace aka Queen Of The Red Double Wide

Liz said...

I am so glad you printed this recipe!! I have wanted to make this bread for Thanksgiving but couldn't find my recipe. Thanks!! Do you like the cast iron bread pan better than a regular pan. I love cooking in cast iron. Will have to keep my eyes open for one!!

Jen said...

Looks so great.

A Colorful World said...

I am a huge fan of cast iron...and will have to get one of these! I also have been more in the mood to cook lately, and even bake, which may be because it's getting closer to the holidays. While Russell has been gone, I have eaten terribly! Very little cooking going on just for me! Yvonne and I made apple butter yesterday in 2 crockpots and I ladled them into the jars and sealed them early this afternoon. May have to make a second batch because I think all these jars are spoken for! :-) This bread recipe sounds divine, and I'm going to make it! I'll let you know how mine comes out.

Maggid said...

I miss Arizona . . . I miss the beauty of Flagstaff . . .

I'm glad I'm not standing anywhere near your bread - because, surely i would behave badly - grab a handful and enjoy - (without permission)

sigh . . it's so good to visit with you - and so good I'm far enough away to NOT Pester you . . (giggle)

Unknown said...

This looks so good! I ran to the kitchen, but I'm out of oats AND wheat flour--how can that be? lol I would also love to have that pan! Thanks for sharing!

Lita

Anonymous said...

That does look good. I have a honey wheat bread recipe that is my favorite. I might have to try substituting some oats in there. Lovely pan. :-)

Lynn said...

Gorgeous bread and I LOVE your cast iron pan-enjoy:@)

Faith said...

I make mostly white bread, but recently have enjoyed the taste of bread with more grains. I've been looking for a recipe, and will be trying this after what I'm baking today is finished up. I like the texture of the grain breads. I'm interested in the cast iron baking pan also...next time I go to amish I'll be looking for one.

Scrapatches said...

This looks like my kind of bread. So happy I saw this on your sidebar today ... :) Pat