Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Tuesday's Tails - 02/11/2014


Sunday, we tore down the old pieced together with chicken wire, T-posts, pallets and cattle panels chicken run and put up this new one. When I removed the wire holding the old gate to the T-post, it actually fell over because the termites had eaten the bottom! Jerry likes this MUCH better, the old one was a real eyesore. Here is a picture from 2011, the coop is out of the picture to the left. Quite an improvement I'd say!


The new run is a 10 x 10 x 6-foot chain link dog kennel that we purchased from Tractor Supply. We also purchased two extra 10 x 6-foot chain link panels to make it 10 x 20 x 6-foot and purchased the shade/roof kit. We covered the open top area with 2 x 4-inch wire. The chickens wouldn't come out of their coop when we opened their little door so Jerry went in and chased them out. Once they got out, they seemed to really like it. They have extra room too as the old run was only 8 x 16. What Jerry and I really like though is the 6-foot height, the old height was only 4 1/2 feet. I still catch myself stooping over when I go in to give them feed and water. ;)

By the way, I LOVE Tractor Supply and am really glad they finally made it to Arizona and to our little town!

22 comments:

Nancy said...

Bet your chickens are loving their new home! :)

Buttons Thoughts said...

Happy Chickens in their new home I see smiles:) Hug B

Alica said...

Sounds like the perfect chicken run! We like TSC too...there's one just a mile or so from our house, and it comes in quite handy! Their customer service is amazing too.

Michaele said...

Oh TSC is the best! Wonderful job and you were smart to get the height.

TexWisGirl said...

bright and shiny new digs - and hawk-proof, too! nice!

i like tractor supply. i don't seem to buy a lot there, but always love to peruse the aisles. i have gotten some bird feeders there.

Liz said...

The new pen looks great! What a great idea to use a dog run. I buy most of my bird food from tractor supply.

A Colorful World said...

I really love the new run, and I am sure the chickens do too! I always wanted a "moveable" one. with a stationary henhouse, then a huge chickenwire framwork run that could be angled off the door to the henhouse in several different directions to give them new areas to scratch in. I doubt if I'll ever get it, but here's hoping. :-)

Carolyn said...

I LOVE those dog kennel panels. We have an "extra" 4' x 16 chain link kennel around Just In Case. Stray dog shows up, need to quaranteen a new goat, pen up a few roosters selected for the soup pot, and we use it for the meat birds in the fall.

Your chickens should be safe & secure!

Susan said...

That looks nice and secure. Isn't it funny how happy we are when our fencing matches???

brokenteepee said...

Chickens are not too bright

Our Neck of the Woods said...

It looks great! I bet they are enjoying the extra room now that they're used to the new fencing. It's so funny how they are scared of anything new!

I remember when we lived in the city and actually had our chickens under the porch. I was constantly bent over trying to feed and water them. Cleaning the coop was a nightmare as well! So nice to have an area now that I can actually stand up in haha.

Unknown said...

Candy,
That is a nice improvement! Most times we feel good after fixing up an eye sore. I have a few things around here I see and want to clean up.

We have our shorts sitting on the dresser, no flip flops yet. lol!

Unknown said...

Nice job, and will probably never rust, etc...

Lin said...

Well, that certainly looks like it is much nicer than the old one. I hope those chickens appreciate the good life they have there!

Michelle said...

We did the same system for our chickens. I love it. They are building a Tractor Supply here can't wait for them to open.

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

I love it! We have those two and out here with bobcats, racoons, opossum and coyotes we have to do that. The other way we lost so many chickens. You will love yours..It looks great.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Very nice! We too rely on TSC for fencing supplies.

Mama Pea said...

Nice job, big improvement. Happy chickens, happy chickens!

We've been spending some time this winter designing a new chicken house and rotating pastures for summer time and solarium-like covered runs for winter time. Hope we can actually make it all happen this coming summer.

Ida said...

The new coop looks really nice and I'm sure those chickens are much happier.

Farmgirl Heidi said...

I love your new run. It looks like it will be easy to keep clean and keep predators out. I could live at Tractor Supply. They're great.

Farmgirl Heidi said...

I love your new run. It looks like it will be easy to keep clean and keep predators out. I could live at Tractor Supply. They're great.

Anonymous said...

How nice to be able to stand up. They'll certainly like all that extra space.