Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Monday, April 13, 2015

Chocolate Snack Cake


This is a moist, rich, extra-chocolaty snack cake that goes together quickly with the use of my Baking Mix. I made this cake yesterday for Jerry's birthday and he was a happy birthday boy! The chocolate chips in the batter really rev up the chocolate factor and the rich, creamy Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting makes it extra special.

Chocolate Snack Cake

1 1/4 cups Baking Mix               **Click here to print this recipe**
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9 x 2-inch pan, set aside.
In a medium bowl combine the Baking Mix, flour, cocoa, instant coffee granules and chocolate chips. In a large bowl combine the melted butter, eggs, sugar, milk and vanilla, mix well. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not over bake. Let cool completely before frosting.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

1/4 cup butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Combine butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add cocoa powder and one cup of the powdered sugar, beat on low speed until thoroughly combined. Add extra powdered sugar as needed to reach a spreadable consistency with the frosting.

Store leftover frosted cake in the refrigerator because of the cream cheese frosting.

I've decided to resurrect my blog so that I can share the many recipes I have developed for my Baking Mix. I'm sure there will also be plenty of photos and stories of life here at the Lazy J Bar C to include all the animals, my adventures with container gardening and the beautiful Southeastern Arizona scenery.

I hope you enjoy the cake!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

You're back! Yeah!!! Been missing all your fun posts and animals :) And love the recipes!

Nancy@LittlehomesteadinBoise

TexWisGirl said...

my goodness. my teeth hurt just looking at this!

Mama Pea said...

Looks yummy! Glad to see a post from you again. Welcome back!

Michelle said...

Glad to see you back! I also need to start posting again.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

You could not have picked a better subject! Who doesn't love chocolate cake and cover, now all in one!

thewovenspoke said...

Welcome back! I have missed your posts and wonderful recipes. :)

This one sounds wonderful.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I've missed you and your blog! So glad to see you post again. And what a delicious looking recipe too!

jp@A Green Ridge said...

I know you are busy, BUT...can I store the "baking mix" in the frig?...:)JP

Liz said...

Oh my gosh I don't even remember which chocolate recipe to try first! But I know they both are going to be a hit in this house of chocolate lovers!!

Judy said...

That looks so YUMMY!!!!

Susan said...

How great to see you back! And with a marvelous recipe to boot!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Yay! welcome back. :)
I was so happy to see it was really you when I clicked over. I see so many blogs-- get dropped only to be picked up by scavengers and robots...
This cake looks devine. I might give it a try next crowd I have.
otherwise, I might eat the whole thing!

A Colorful World said...

You're back! I'm so excited! I had really missed you being on the blogs. Gotta tell ya...SIL is now the Corporate Chef for the Hub, Playground and the ice cream/pastry shop all owned by the same company in downtown Tucson. Back in the groove with the talents he has and know-how. He just wasn't happy in the long run at the cafe. There will be a place for Y to bake but right now she's taking a break. They are taking care of nephew now, and going through the foster care process.

So happy you love Vikings! :-) I feel like Ragnar is going to die, and Rollo will then be king. I had no idea the real Vikings ever attacked Paris, but Russell looked it up! Just love the show!