Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Friday, February 3, 2012

Applesauce Molasses Cake


OMG!! All I can say is this is so stinkin' good that I hope you all try it! Very spicy and moist!! I love gingerbread but haven't had much luck making it because it always falls in the middle. To me, this recipe tastes very much like gingerbread.

I have had this recipe lying around for several months wanting to try it and I finally did this morning. I had some leftover homemade applesauce that I used the other day to make some Applesauce BBQ sauce (which is yummy too!) and since I didn't need to bake bread today, I figured it would be a good time to try this cake recipe. I don't remember where I got the recipe so if it was from one of you I apologize for not giving you credit! The only substitution I made was to use some of my Pumpkin Pie spice mix instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg. I will list the recipe for that at the end. The recipe calls for unsweetened applesauce but mine did have a little sugar in it.

Applesauce Molasses Cake               **Click here to print this recipe**

1/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups Baking Mix
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
(I used 3 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie spice instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8-inch square cake pan. I used a greased 10-inch cast iron skillet.


In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar; beat in applesauce, molasses, vanilla and egg.


Add dry ingredients and beat well.


Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a pick inserted in center comes out clean.


Serve warm with whipped cream.

We didn't have any whipped cream this morning but this cake was AWESOME just plain with a cup of coffee after we got back from our morning walk!

Pumpkin Pie Spice

8 tablespoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons ground ginger
4 teaspoons ground cloves

Linking up with the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop. Thanks Deb and Heidi for hosting the hop! :)

19 comments:

Teresa said...

This does sound delicious, and I've been craving something sweet!

Susan said...

Torture! Pure torture!! I wonder if I can make this gluten free....

dr momi said...

I should not really look at food on blogs at 4:13 in the afternoon! I Do believe I NEED to make this
:-)

Candy C. said...

Teresa,
I highly suggest you try it! :)

Susan,
I always feel bad when I post a recipe with flour in it because I know you can't (or shouldn't) eat it!

dr momi,
Yes, you must make this...stare at the little spinning watch...you must make this! ;-)

Ngo Family Farm said...

Oh. My. YUM! Oh, so many sweet things to bake and so little time! ;)
-Jaime

Candy C. said...

Jaime,
LOL!! That's one of the reasons it took me MONTHS to try this recipe!

Unknown said...

That looks delicious! :)

Jen said...

Yummy... looks like a cake I need to try. I was workin in the kitchen all day workin with bananas, I did a blog on it. Then I made a gooey butter cake, yum. I made & froze 12 pints of Avocado dip. too Busy Bee today ;)

EMMA said...

This looks fantastic, definitely going to try it soon. Is that a cast iron cake pan you use?

Candy C. said...

Catherine,
Thanks!

Jennifer,
Dang girl, you WERE busy! I'll have to check out your post! :)

Emma,
I used my 10-inch cast iron skillet and just sprayed it with some cooking spray first. Works great! :)

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

This looks really good- I wish someone in my house would make it for me!

Candy C. said...

Kathy,
Maybe if you leave the recipe lying around he will get the hint!! LOL!!

Kateri said...

I like how you bake in your cast iron pan. I need to try that. This sounds like a recipe I would like...

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

We make an applesauce/molasses cake too. I do like that fact that yours is baked right in the cast iron pan. Very easy.

Candy C. said...

Kateri,
I like how the cast iron gives baked goods kind of a crust! :)

Kristina,
I love using my cast iron in "unconventional" ways!

Michelle said...

I had this cake years ago. I never thought I would be able to get a recipe for it. Thanks so much for sharing. This is going in my recipe box.

Candy C. said...

Michelle,
Cool! Glad you were able to find it again! :)

Unknown said...

Your cake looks and sounds yummo! MY hubby loves anything ginger!

Candy C. said...

Deb,
Hope you get to give it a try! :)