Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Snow Day and Chicken Chowder


It was so beautiful Saturday afternoon that we were sitting out on the front porch and then yesterday afternoon, it SNOWED! Crazy weather everywhere this winter!!


By evening, it had all melted away, except in the shady spots, and it really didn't get that cold last night so I still have hope for my fruit trees.


Is this not a pathetic face?!? He really wasn't cold though, he was romping around in the snow just a few minutes after I took this picture! :)

It seemed like a perfect day to make some soup for supper and I decided to go with a Chicken Corn Chowder. I don't have a recipe, per se, just a "method" as Rachael Ray likes to put it. ;-) I simmered a bone-in, skin-on chicken breast in a pot with some onion, garlic, bay leaf and spices and then shredded the meat and used the stock for my soup base. I diced a couple of potatoes and added that to the stock along with the chicken and a can of white corn. I used a can of corn because I'm trying to use up things out of the pantry but fresh or frozen would have been my first choice. Bring to a simmer and add some cajun seasoning or other spicy type seasoning or, actually, whatever suits your fancy! When the potatoes are tender, taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Then, add some heavy cream or half-n-half or milk to make it creamy and heat through but don't boil. I served the soup with a homemade rye baguette. It was very yummy and the perfect supper for a snowy day! :)


Linking up with The Country Homemaker Hop hosted by Heidi at My Simple Country Living and Michelle at Michelle's Little Piece Of Heaven.

26 comments:

Alica said...

This does sound like a perfect snowy day meal...soup and bread...yumm! I wish I could make things with a "method" instead of a recipe, but my brain just won't work that way.

Paula said...

Snow! Hard to imagine. The chowder sounds yummy.

Paula

Candy C. said...

Alica,
It took me awhile to just "let go!" Soup is the perfect dish to make without a recipe!

Paula,
We don't get a lot of snow but we do get some every year! :)

Susan said...

The perfect answer to my recent discovery of 8 pints of canned corn from TWO years ago - not counting the corn I canned last year. (Say that fast three times.) I always make a weekly soup and this will be next week's!

TexWisGirl said...

what a beautiful pup! :)

Candy C. said...

Susan,
Did you see my post for Monday?!? LOL!! Home canned corn would be perfect for this chowder! :)

TWG,
He really is a sweetie!

Nancy said...

It's good that you folks down south get to experience the snow too. Your dog looks unhappy! :)

dr momi said...

When I saw it snowed Arizona on the news...right away I said but their fruit trees are blooming!
Corn Chowder was perfect for the day!

Candy C. said...

Nancy,
That is his "everyday" look, he is really a very happy dog! :)

dr momi,
I checked the trees a little while ago and all the blossoms are just fine! YAY!!

Robyn said...

You've had MORE snow than we have! Yesterday was a beautiful 43degrees here. Did some cattle work Sunday afternoon and Monday in nice weather.

Candy C. said...

Robyn,
That's pretty funny! LOL!!
It is cold today but the precipitation has headed east. :(

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I know what you mean about crazy weather. Your soup looks delicious and a good way to warm up.

Michelle said...

We are finally getting snow here. I am so happy! I love watching the snow. My chickens aren't happy . But I don't care. WE HAVE SNOW!

LindaG said...

Thank you! I love soup when it's wet and dreary, or cold. Either one, so I appreciate this recipe. :)

I am still learning how to cook without a recipe. My hubby, annoyingly, does it very well!

LindaG said...

P.S. Was the chicken breast cooked before hand or raw. Just curious.

Thanks again!

Candy C. said...

Kristina,
It was perfect for the colder weather!

Michelle,
The chickens never seem to be happy with the snow! LOL!!

Candy C. said...

LindaG,
I boiled the chicken breast first with some onion, garlic and spices and then shredded it and added it to the broth with the potatoes and corn. :)

Kimberly said...

Sounds perfect!

LindaG said...

*slaps forehead*

I remember reading that, too. Oops. Haha!
Thank you, Candy. :-)

That's how I make my chicken broth, boiling with onion, salt, pepper, garlic, celery and carrots. :-)

Candy C. said...

Kimberly,
It was very good!

LindaG,
No problem! I love making my own chicken broth too, it's so much better than store bought! :)

Clint Baker said...

Yummy!

Unknown said...

It snowed this morning here! Icy on the way to work, good soup!

rugosarosefarm said...

ooh that chowder looks good! I'm going to have to try your "method" :)

Candy C. said...

Clint,
Thanks!

Nancy,
Glad we didn't have any ice! Yikes!

rugosarosefarm,
I hope you give it a try! :)

SweetLand Farm said...

Ah so refreshing to see that you got some snow down there!! Although that is really sad about maybe not getting anything on your fruit trees. That is a stinker.

Candy C. said...

SweetLand Farm,
The snow was fun while it lasted and, thankfully, the fruit trees came through unscathed! :)