Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Friday, February 17, 2012

Front Door Decor

I like to have something welcoming on the front door all the time. I have several seasonal wreaths, some made out of wood, some made out of metal, and I display them for the appropriate holiday/season. I bought this chile ristra at the Farmer's Market in December and put it on the front door as soon as the Christmas wreath came down. I like it so well that I didn't even change it out for the Valentine's wreath! LOL!!

A chile ristra (the spanish word for "string") is a braided string of dried red chile peppers; ristras are often seen in homes throughout the southwest. They can be simply decorative but they were originally devised as a way to dry and preserve the chile peppers for later use, sort of the way onions and garlic are preserved. Red chile is a staple in southwest cooking and this treatment will allow the chiles to be preserved for about a year. Today, chile ristras are still used for this purpose but are also often hung in front of homes to welcome visitors and bring good fortune to those living within.




I like the cheery and welcoming look it gives to the front door! :)
What do you hang on your front door to welcome family and friends and to bring good fortune?

Linking to the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop with Deb at Deborah Jean's Dandelion House and Heidi at My Simple Country Living.

20 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Love the door decoration.

dr momi said...

I love it!

Robyn said...

I have always wanted a chile ristras to hang in the entry way. I think they are so fun!

Thanks for sharing your beautiful door decor.

Susan said...

If only I could find one here (or have my chilis turn out well enough that I could make my own!) but chili ristras are few and far between up here in the Northeast. It makes a lovely decoration.

SweetLand Farm said...

Nice door decoration indeed. Generally we don't hang anything on our door, we have too much wind on the hill and it would end up in the next town over if we did!!
But one of my BIL bought us a really cool wind chime that has a cow on the string that makes the noise. We have it tied down and so far it hasn't blown away...maybe I'll take a picture of it and post it!

LindaG said...

I think it's great!
We don't decorate our door, and I wouldn't know what to hang to bring good luck.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

Chili Ristra's are quintessential Southwestern decor. A must-have in these parts! I agree, just as good for Valentine's Day.

Candy C. said...

Kristina, dr momi and TWG,
Thank you all! :)

Robyn,
I really think they are beautiful!

Susan,
Yeah, probably not so readily available up in your neck of the woods! ;-)

Candy C. said...

SweetLand Farm,
What you don't see in my picture is the screen door that holds things in place so they don't blow away! LOL!! Please post a picture of your wind chime!

LindaG,
Jerry gets a little perturbed with me for always having something on the door, oh well!

TASO,
Yes, they are a must-have out here! Good to see you girl! :)

larkspur funny farm said...

Every year I would bring several back from Taos NM when I did a show there but sadly I can not have one outside because my crows always think I am hanging it out for them. They even pick at my fake Holiday Wreath - took my plastic berries off it - Bad Birdies.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Looks great! I'm afraid my husband would start plucking it, he loves peppers! I used to string up the little ones and hang them in the kitchen.

Elaine M said...

Simple and very charming!

Nancy said...

And when you are done with the wreath, you can eat it! ;)

Teresa said...

It really is quite pretty!

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Am loving the chile door!

(And I say......tell that Cowboy to take you to Faire! It's al soooo romantic!)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

I had one in my kitchen years ago, cute! I always have some kind of season thing on my door and a mini flag in my front yard, cherry!

Candy C. said...

Grace,
Silly crows act like they own the place!

Kathy,
Sounds like your hubby has been hanging out with Grace's crows! LOL!!

Elaine,
Thanks! :)

Candy C. said...

Nancy,
Yes you can, just run 'em through the food processor!

Teresa,
Thanks!

Mimi,
He makes faces when I bring it up BUT, he is taking me to the rodeo tomorrow! :)

nancypo,
A flag too, hmmm...gonna have to look into that! ;-)

Ngo Family Farm said...

Everything blows right off my door, too! I have one of those hanging near the kitchen, though - always brightens things up :) I have a big dinner bell outside by the front door. That's welcoming, right? ;)
-Jaime

Candy C. said...

Jaime,
I like those big dinner bells, very country/western! :)