Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Thursday, May 10, 2012

My Onions Are Scaping!


We have had some wacky weather of late, warm followed by cold followed by more warm, and my poor onions are confused! I'm just glad all of them aren't trying to bloom so that I will hopefully get some larger onions later in the year. This is my first year planting onion sets so it is all new to me! I read that once they start blooming, they won't make a bulb.


I have been pulling the ones with the flowers and using them for green onions. The ones below are in my herb box. I planted one onion that my friend gave me a couple of years ago and it just keeps multiplying away. I have only been cutting and using the tops. I guess I should dig them up and see what I've got! LOL!!



They almost look like garlic scapes with the twisty thing going on. What do you do when your onions start blooming too early?

Linking up with Nancy and Lisa for Rural Thursday.

18 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I read that if it bolts early it is a reaction to cold weather stress. They recommended pulling and eating right away because the flavor deteriorates. Mine that overwintered did that so we pulled them and the flavor was SWEET! No bite at all, really very good, although it looked more like a scallion, a big scallion.

TexWisGirl said...

is that a snake in your onions?

Marigold said...

Ahhhhhhh! Escaped onions! Love your red dirt!

Ngo Family Farm said...

I have no idea what you should do, but you forgot to mention the small detail of a SNAKE in your onion bed!! Eek!
-Jaime

Michelle said...

I have the same question. Is that a snake?

Nancy said...

Our walking onions are doing this and I usually just let them seed.

Tanya Breese said...

yikes, don't look now but there's a snake in your onions!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I want to know if it's a snake too!?!

Great onion pics!

Candy C. said...

LOL!! I'm sorry guys, I guess I should have moved my rubber snake before I took the picture! It is supposed to keep the birds and mice away but doesn't work all that great...

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I like to dice and freeze them for cooking and baking. Otherwise, I use my dehydrator.

SweetLand Farm said...

Well, I haven't planted my onions yet, and then only a few of them get to a point where they are scraping. the pics are great though.
And aaahhhhh is that a snake in your onions?! I would not have taken a pic of it I would have been too busy running, squealing in the other direction there was a SNAKE in MY garden!!! ahem, I mean calmly walking in the other direction to not alarm the kiddos, yeah that's it!

Teresa said...

If you pinch the blooms off they will continue to put their energy into growing bulbs. If you leave the blooms, that's where all their energy production goes.

Lisa Sall - Sall's Country Life said...

Exactly what Theresa said. Pinch off those flowers the onions (garlic,chives,etc)will keep right on growing! Love/Hate that snake idea!

Michaele said...

I think they are afraid of the snake. If that is not it, then I don't know. It is cool looking anyway.

Ngo Family Farm said...

Well, I'm dumber than a mouse - that snake fooled me! ;-)
-jaime

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about the blooming onions but the snake caught my eye too... lol!

A Colorful World said...

I never have tried to grow onions and wouldn't know how...we'll have to talk about that some time. That snake! I suppose he's harmless but that sure would give you a start! :-)

Kateri said...

Oh, my. I thought that was a snake, too...

I pinch the flowers as well and they go on to make bulbs. This has been a strange spring. So far my onions seem to be doing okay though.