Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sunday Photo - Cactus Flower


We had just enough winter rain to produce a bumper crop of cactus flowers! :) I can't believe how many buds are on the prickly pear and cholla in our area this year! In the lower elevations, the cactus are already in full flower but we are a bit behind here. The prickly pear in our pasture just started blooming this week. It's funny how you don't really notice things right under your nose sometimes. I went out to take pictures of the flowers this morning but they weren't open yet! Duh, I never really paid attention before that they close up overnight! LOL!!


I just love the cheerful yellow color and delicate appearance of the prickly pear flowers. This particular smallish prickly pear has well over 60 buds on it. I hope to get a picture when most of the flowers are open. :)

Linking up with Madge for Weekly Top Shot, Nancy for Your Sunday Best and Jan for Straight Out Of the Camera Sunday. Check them out for some beautiful photography!

20 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

so pretty! i've seen 2 open so far on our little cactus.

Michaele said...

Something about cactus is very beautiful. When they bloom it is just icing on the cake : ) Great shots!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

That's really pretty. We don't get those in our area.

Unknown said...

Wow, great shots!

Nancy said...

These are beautiful Candy. Obviously, we don't have cactus here, so it's a treat to see. :)

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful! I don't see cacti here unless they are in a pot.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Very pretty- I rarely see these flowers, so thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I can't say I've seen one of these flowers - very pretty.

Shaun said...

Very nice flowers. Can say that i have seen them over here in the UK.....Or maybe i have but not taken any notice of them.
Shaun
Shaun Valleys ShutterBug

Safdar Ali said...

so nice flower. i have seemed it only 3 times. thanks for sharing.

Send gifts to Pakistan from Australia
Send gifts to Pakistan from Australia
Send gifts to Pakistan from Australia

Robyn said...

Cactus flowers are pretty. The Prickly Pear usually don't start to bloom until haying season around these parts. June/July.

SweetLand Farm said...

I love the color yellow! Great pic. Don't see any of cactus's where I'm from!

LindaG said...

Lovely! Thank you for sharing them with us. :o)

homegrown countrygirl said...

Candy! Such lovely pictures! Are these the kind of cacti that produce the prickly pear fruit? (Is that the right word... is it called a "fruit?")

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Oh I think that is just beautiful. Nice photo.

Candy C. said...

homegrown countrygirl,
Yep, they are called fruit and I have made syrup and jelly from them in the past! :)

Tanya Breese said...

just beautiful! isn't it funny how much more you notice when you carry your camera around?!!

Marigold said...

Oh, my goodness! Your photography is beautiful!!! Peanuts to you for sharing!

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful shots, Candy! Yes, we had a great day yesterday! I'm anxious to get some of the pictures posted. It was so good meeting the two of you!

Anonymous said...

Love this! I'm so glad you decided to join us and share at 'Weekly Top Shot.' :-) I hope you'll come share again next week...