Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Carnage!

Seemed like an appropriate title for this pre-Halloween post! ;-)

I took this picture of the neighbors' very cute fall display out by their front gate one day last week.


This is what it looked like this morning!! Oh, the horror!!


What, you ask, could possibly have caused such destruction to such a beautiful arrangement?!? Well...let me tell you the story...we were sitting watching TV last night when I kept hearing a strange noise out the front window. At first, I thought it was the deer walking across the gravel. Finally, I went outside and activated the motion light in the carport thinking that the light would make whatever was out there run away...but...the...noise...didn't...stop!! Jerry decided to take the flashlight (and his .45) and go see what was out there. He told me it sounded like something chewing on something! What?!? Chewing?!? I told him to be careful because it was probably the Chupacabra!! He was practically on top of the noise before he could see that it was...the stinkin' javelina! There were three of them having the best old time eating the pumpkins and the cornstalks!

This is the first time in the six years we have lived here that we have actually seen any javelina; we have seen signs of them but not the actual "little darlings"! Anyway, they finally ran off when Jerry got right on top of them and yelled at them! I couldn't believe how much they had torn up that cute fall display! Ah...the joys of life in the high desert! :)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad about the cute fall display. We don't have javelinas here... guess that's something to be glad about. :)

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I had to look up what a javelina is. I thought it looked like a wild pig, but it's not really a pig?? Are they dangerous like the wild hogs?

Sharon said...

Their tusks can be very dangerous, and they are quite bad tempered. They don't see well, so they lash out at anything. The babies are really cute. You are right, they are not pigs. Actually a large rodent, but the people who eat them probably don't want to know that.

Candy C. said...

Mooberry Farmwife,
They are pretty destructive and usually run in pretty large groups, which makes it even worse. Yeah, be glad you don't have them! :)

Candy C. said...

Kathy,
See Sharon's description! :) When we lived in Tucson, in the Tucson Mountains, we would get packs of them passing through every once in awhile, not fun! I don't think they are quite as dangerous as those wild hogs though!

dr momi said...

I never heard of javelina's -- the things you learn blogging :-)
(glad we don't have them )

Unknown said...

Ah well, maybe they should hang them in the air! Poor babies were just hungry!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

It's interesting how different our lives are, in different places. I've heard of javelinas, but have never seen one. Around here raccoons get into things. Glad Jerry didn't' get hurt by one.

Candy C. said...

dr momi,
It never occurred to me that there were people out there that had never heard of javelinas! We just take them for granted here in the southwest, I should have posted a picture! :)

Nancy,
Yes, they were just hungry, little stinkers! (Literally!)

Kristina,
We have raccoons out here too, just not as prevalent as back east.

Debbie @ Larson Farm Naturals said...

I have never heard of a Javelina either. Chupacabras I have heard of, that's strange now isn't it!
Your poor pumpkins :(

Tombstone Livestock said...

too bad they could not have waited until tomorrow. At least now I know a Javelina is a critter and not a female Javelin thrower.

SweetLand Farm said...

Such a nice display. At least you had a picture of it. I too had never heard of a Javelina. Gonna have to google it too I guess. Guess they thought pumpkins and corn stalks would be a nice snack.
HAhahahaha Tombstone Livestock!!

Kateri said...

I had never heard of a javalina either! Pretty cool looking animals, but sounds like they can do a lot of damage.

Candy C. said...

Wow, we just take it for granted that *everyone* knows what a javelina is! :)

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of a javelina, so I googled it. Ugly little creatures. Not sure if I would want to meet one in the dark.

Robyn
http://theranchwifechronicles.com/

Candy C. said...

Robyn,
They are ugly, except for the babies! But then, baby anythings are cute! :)