Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Friday, October 21, 2011

Buttermilk Wheat Dinner Rolls

I love the way these rolls look baked in the 9-inch cake pan but of course you could just shape them into 12 rolls and bake them on a sheet pan. They are a consistent seller at the Farmer's Market because of the presentation and, of course, the taste! ;-) These are a nice, rich dinner roll incorporating some buttermilk and whole wheat flour. I tried using all buttermilk initially but they didn't seem to rise as nicely. This recipe uses 4 1/2 cups of flour instead of my normal 4 cups so that the rolls fill up the pans.

Buttermilk Wheat Dinner Rolls               **Click here to print this recipe**

1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 cups bread flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons bread machine yeast OR 1 packet active dry yeast (If using active dry yeast, dissolve it in the warm milk before combining with the remaining ingredients.)

Mix, knead and let your dough rise until doubled using your favorite method; bread machine, manual or stand mixer. Grease two 9-inch cake pans. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces and shape into balls.


Place 8 balls in each cake pan seam side down.


Let rise in a warm place until doubled. (Oops, forgot to take a picture!) Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. I have to rearrange my pans after about 8 minutes to get them to cook evenly. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.


Don't forget, the holidays are right around the corner and nothing beats homemade rolls for Thanksgiving dinner! Bread freezes incredibly well so these could be made ahead of time and then thawed on Thanksgiving morning, wrapped in foil and re-heated for dinner.

Linking to the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop at Deborah Jean's Dandelion House! :)

22 comments:

OPCCook said...

Oh my goodness. This recipe looks delicious!! Can I steal it? I'll link back to you because I DO want to make them!! :-)

Candy C. said...

Mary Beth,
Sure go ahead! :)
By the way, I am no longer able to leave comments on your site. I type it all in, hit enter and it acts like it works, no error message or anything, but the comments never show up! Have I gotten lost in your spam inbox? Help!

Anonymous said...

These look great, Candy. I was already planning to make rolls to go with the stew we are having tonight. I will give your recipe a try. Thanks!

OPCCook said...

Oh dear. Let me look. It is so possible because that spam thing is pretty mean.

Do you mind posting on the new blog right now and let me see what comes through?

Susan said...

You are killing me here, Candy! I've never seen such 'perfect' rolls! No wonder they sell like, well, hotcakes! Would they work with some pumpkin puree mixed in? Maybe I'll torture myself and make them for Thanksgiving dinner.

Candy C. said...

Mooberry Farmwife,
I hope you all like them! :)

Mary Beth,
I left a comment and sent you an email.

Candy C. said...

Susan,
If you add some pumpkin puree, reduce the milk/buttermilk by an equal amount. I think it should work just fine and what a GREAT idea! :)

homegrown countrygirl said...

Oh, Candy, what gorgeous rolls! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

Candy C. said...

homegrown countrygirl,
You are welcome! Hope you get a chance to try them!

Anonymous said...

Why oh why! did I find your blog AFTER I started a restricted carb diet. I can almost taste these warm, generously buttered rolls spread with my homemade huckleberry jammmmm. lol
your bro

MARARIA said...

Candy I´d like to know if I can make it only with bread flour. how much plain flour I would need?
I love this bread and I´d like to make it.

thanks for sharing

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I pulled a similar recipe from Backwoods home magazine. I have yet to make the recipe. Your recipe looks good and those rolls are making me hungry.

Candy C. said...

Mararia,
Yes, you can use all white flour, it would take 4 1/2 cups. I usually use half bread flour and half all-purpose flour when I make plain dinner rolls.

Candy C. said...

Kristina,
I hope you get to try them soon, they are a great dinner roll! :)

Candy C. said...

Hey bro!
I'll trade you some homemade green tomato salsa for some homemade huckleberry jam! ;-)

MARARIA said...

thanks Candy,Ill let you know when I make them :)

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed browsing26 your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!…

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Candy, I gave your blog an award. Come check it out on my blog today.

Anonymous said...

Beautful buns! I will have to add this to my recipe box. I still need to try your Whole Wheat bread recipe.

Robyn
http://theranchwifechronicles.com/

Candy C. said...

Robyn,
I hope you get a chance to try both recipes! :)

Debbie said...

I am going to try this. If it is easy, I will use it all winter. Thanks.

Scrapatches said...

Oh, my! These looks so good!

Thanks for the recipe! ... :) Pat