Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pumpkin Puree

This is only my second year of roasting and pureeing fresh pumpkin. Last year, I used the puree for my very first ever "totally" homemade pumpkin pie and it was SOOO much better than anything I have ever made!!

This year, I bartered a loaf of 100% Whole Wheat bread for two pie pumpkins at the Farmer's Market. Jeez, I just love bartering! :) I got this pumpkin and a smaller one. The vendor told me that the best pumpkins for cooking/roasting are the ones without deep ridges on the outside. I think maybe it makes it easier to scoop out the flesh?


To make your fresh pumpkin puree, first cut your pumpkin in half and scoop out all the seeds and stringy stuff. Don't forget to save those seeds for roasting!


Put the pumpkin halves in a baking dish, add about a half an inch of water, cover tightly with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, until the rind can be easily pierced with a knife.


Let cool until they can be handled and scrape all the pulp out of the rind.



Now, you will need to puree the pulp in the blender. I needed to add a little water to each batch to get it to puree as my pumpkin was a little dry.


I ended up with over 8 cups of pumpkin puree! Not bad for a loaf of bread huh?!?

Is it time consuming? Yes. Is it messy? You bet. Is it worth it? TOTALLY!! This tastes SOOO much better than the canned stuff from the supermarket! You can make pie, pumpkin soup, pumpkin muffins, mashed pumpkin with butter as a side dish, etc., etc. Tomorrow, I will post a recipe for baked Pumpkin Custard! YUM! Soon, I will also post a recipe for pumpkin muffins using my Baking Mix and my so-so attempt at cream cheese filled pumpkin muffins.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm doing this this fall, looks yummy!

Sharon said...

I have been growing my own pie pumpkins and making the puree to use. It is easy and the product is great. Freeze it in 2 cup amounts and then you will have plenty all year. I am sure Cindy, that you will love it.

Michelle said...

It do this every year. It is also great to put in your cakes instead of oil. You got me now wanting to make my pumpkin cookies. And I just finished cleaned my kitchen.

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Wow. That looks great. I did this following the Pioneer Woman's recipe a while back and she didn't use water or foil. I felt like my pumpkin was too dry in the end. I am going to do up my last pumpkins your way and see if the result improves.

Also, I did not know about the outside ridges being important for food quality pumpkins. I always learn something cool from your posts. Thanks again. Have a good night.

cmccaffery said...

Hi Candy,

this looks so easy! I will try this, thanks
Connie (modern day laura)

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

This doesn't look hard. I can do this!

Old Time Cindy said...

Great post. I will definitely try this. Thanks!

Susan said...

What a lovely pumpkin! I love pumpkin in everything - those cream cheese filled pumpkin muffins sound delicious!

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

Good job showing us how. You are right there is nothing better tasting than fresh. I look forward to your post tomorrow. I would freeze mine and have canned it also. Just love the fall time.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I baking up the last of my pie pumpkins today. It's work, but totally worth it. I may save some back for pumpkin waffles. Yum!

Teresa said...

yummy, I do this every year also. So totally worth it!!!

Candy C. said...

Thanks ladies! My internet was down ALL DAY yesterday so I'm really behind in replying to all your wonderful comments! :)

Kateri said...

Yay! I can comment now. :) Good job on trading the bread for the pumpkins. I'm making lot of pumpkin puree to freeze this year from the pumpkins I grew. I've always just steamed the flesh though. Though now that I think about it, roasting it seems like it would make it sweeter.

Anonymous said...

Hi Candy, I saw a snippet on Dandelion Haven, Kateri's blog, where she mentioned about your instructions on how to make Pumpkin Puree. I am not the best cook but I enjoy trying new things and will try to make pumpkin puree. I am going to be moving onto a six acre micro farm in Cumberland County, TN soon. I will have lots of room to grow Pumpkins next year! Have a wonderful day today!

Candy C. said...

wildlifewatcher,
Thanks for stopping by! Congratulations on your move to "the farm!" I'm hoping to grow some pumpkins myself next year! :)