Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Peeper People

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered some Buff Orpington chicks, they arrived this past Friday. YAY!! I ordered 10 hens and a rooster, the rooster has a blue spot on his head. I have heard such good things about this breed and have wanted to get some for a couple of years. We did have a Buff rooster awhile back that someone gave us but he just up and died one day, never did figure out why, he was only about 9 months old. This is Friday when I brought them home. They went right to eating and drinking their water! :)




Here they are this morning. Good morning Peeper People! I swear they are half again bigger this morning than they were Friday!


Little rooster boy is a big chicken! LOL!! I'm going to pick him up and love on him at least once a day in hopes that he will be a nice rooster. This little girl on the other hand ain't scairt a' nothin'!


Here is a link to a cute story and pictures at backyardchickens.com about a small flock of Buff Orpington hens: BackYardChickens.com Buff Orpingtons. When my girls start laying next spring, I am going to put a post on craigslist and give away the Barred Rocks. I hope, I hope!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute! We have several Buff Orpingtons in our flock, Candy. They are a lovely chicken!

Candy C. said...

Mooberry Farmwife,
I'm looking forward to watching them grow up! It's been two years since we got a new batch of chicks, they are SOOO cute when they are little!

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

I love mine. Don't tell the other girls but sometimes I think they're smarter. They play well with others and my Barred Rocks.
I just love chicks, nothing is cuter in my eyes.

dr momi said...

Around here, starting chicks now is just crazy. We had our first frost last night :-)
Ahem....enjoy your warm weather and cute as all get out chicks!

Candy C. said...

Kat,
I had heard that! LOL!! Also that they are calmer and not so "flighty!"

Candy C. said...

dr momi,
It's still in the 60s at night here. The Peeper People are in Jerry's shop with their brooder light. I'm always afraid they will be too HOT but they seem to be fine!

Susan said...

I love the Buffs. I call all mine the Honeys. They are so lovely and calm. I just love the little miss with attitude!

Candy C. said...

Susan,
I like "The Honeys!" What a perfect description of their color! :)

Michelle said...

Thier so cute. I got mine full grown. I was afraid of roosters. Yes I am a wimp LOL.

Candy C. said...

Michelle,
I have heard that Buffs are a "broody" breed so I got a rooster in hopes of hatching our own chicks! We have actually only had one mean rooster, he doesn't live here anymore! ;)