Lazy J Bar C

Lazy J Bar C

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Curried Pumpkin Soup

Kateri at Dandelion Haven posted a recipe for Curried Pumpkin Coconut Soup the other day that sounded so good that I just had to try making some pumpkin soup myself! Thanks Kateri for inspiring me! :)

I have never made pumpkin soup before and Jerry was a little skeptical when I told him what I was doing. I said "Trust me, it will be amazing!" He said "We'll see." Such confidence he has in my culinary skills! I forged ahead anyway! I used some of the Pumpkin Puree I had frozen from the fresh pumpkins I roasted recently. I chopped the onion and garlic very fine so that I did not have to blend the finished soup.

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 cup heavy cream

Melt butter with oil in a soup pot. Add onion and cook over medium-low heat until soft. Add garlic and cook for another few minutes. Stir in chicken stock, pumpkin puree, salt, curry powder, cumin and coriander. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add heavy cream and cook until heated through.


 I liked the texture but you could always blend it with an immersion blender until smooth or blend in batches (carefully, it's hot!) in the blender if you like it creamier. I have only just recently started cooking with curry powder and I like it! :) We had this soup with a grilled ham and goat cheese sandwich on homemade onion rye bread, YUM!! After dinner, Jerry said "Okay, you can make that again," which is high praise indeed! LOL!!

8 comments:

MARARIA said...

thans for sharing this soup, it looks delicious... another recipe for my pumking!
I like curry powder too,,have you tried it with lentils soup? delicious!

dr momi said...

Lots of good vitamin A!!

Candy C. said...

Mararia,
I haven't tried lentil soup yet but it's going to be on my list now! Thanks!!

dr momi,
One more reason to enjoy this yummy soup! :)

Farmgirl Heidi said...

That's fantastic Candy. Kateri will be happy to know it was well received. I am planning on making it too, this weekend. With your hubby's seal of approval, I am sure mine will like it too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Looks good! I make lentil soup and use curry also. Another great way to cook with our pumpkin puree.

Candy C. said...

Heidi,
Hope you two like it!

Kristina,
I haven't made lentil soup yet but it's on my list. It's nice to be able to make something besides desert with the pumpkin puree! :)

Kateri said...

Well, I am glad your husband liked it! (He sounds a lot like my husband!) I didn't blend mine either after cooking--I thought the little bits of onion made a nice contrast for the smoothness of the pumpkin.

Candy C. said...

Kateri,
I like the bits of onion too, I ate the leftovers Friday morning for breakfast! ;-)